Friday, January 25, 2013

Call me Jarett

       The news has been swirling about the return of my beloved Sonics. I needed an outlet to convey my mixed emotions on the subject (hypocritical anticipation). As this is my first blog, I have no real idea where this will be going.
       So my name is Jarett, if your reading this you either know me or through the magic of google stumbled into this amateurish attempt at blogging. If you are the latter I'll give you a quick rundown of me so maybe you can gain insight into your content provider, I guess. I come from a sports family, not professional or anything like that but just a family who plays sports. My dad was a middle school girls coach, who was a frequent church basketball participant. It was from watching my dad that I grew to love basketball, weather it be watching him coach a gaggle of middle school girls or out rebounding the best ballers in the upper Marysville church pool of basketball talent. I have many fond memories, watching, keeping score and shooting between games during these early Saturday mornings.
       As I started to care about throwing a leather ball through a metal ring, my interest in the NBA quickly swelled up. Some of my first memories are involving the  92 Dream team and George Carl's first season at the helm. Soon after that Halloween I wanted to be a sonics player(or Micheal Jordan) usually Detlef mainly due to the fact he looked like me. Guess which one is me.

       As I grew up my passion for the sport would only wain once due to a minor organ rupture. Once this was in the rear view, I was in full fledged fan mode again even if I had yet to play much basketball my self. I fully cheered thru all those Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis and of course Luke Ridnour (My favorite player during these years. Yes again my favorite is a white guy, but I mean he again looked like me and he was a local prep legend and only an inch taller than me, and I'm justifying and writing run-on sentences, so just let me have this one).
Twins?
       Soon those years were getting long in the tooth, and we (The Sonics, sorry to be confusing but I am in no way part of the organization and shouldn't use that pronoun, but I'm going to use it.) had to move on. Amazingly, our team lucked out, got the number two pick in the draft just as rumors about the team moving to Oklahoma of all places started to really gain steam. Many optimists in the area thought that Kevin Durant could be our savior. His skill and star power would be enough to galvanize the city to keep the team in it's original home. Sadly missteps by countless persons (Schultz, Greg Nichols, Stern and many others) led to the hijacking of our team. During that last year I attended 10+ games and saw the frame of a great team forming, but in my head I highly doubted I would be able to reap the benefits of watching this team mature, grow up and contend.
       It was at this point I became a fan free agent. I loved the sport too much to stop consuming it. Around this time my health had picked up and I was now fully into the pickup games around town and that only fed my desire to consume more of the sport. I however could never find a team to root for it always felt wrong, like buying a new dog right after the other one died. As some cruel reminder I would make the trek down to Portland a few times just to attend a game in person. I would root for the Blazers, but more in the tradition of rooting for an anti-hero. I liked certain players (Lebron, Nash, Duncan, Wade, Deron Williams, Dirk, Griffin and weirdly Javale Mcgee) and cheered for their success but it never got beyond that. It is with this I have been clinging to NBA life.
       Enter Chris Hansen, the man I would be if I ran a hedge fund and had hundreds of millions of dollars to throw around, he is the perfect package of charm and wallet size. He came with a plan and he seems to be pulling it off. News broke the other week of possible sale of the Kings to the Hansen Group. It is the resulting swarm of news and Sacramento backlash that has lead to the creation of this blog. My next post will be my response thoughts and ramblings on the prospective news.
       It is here I wish I had some gag or catch phrase but I don't... so... till next time I write a bunch of words for the Internet.


No comments:

Post a Comment