Wednesday, May 15, 2013

My reaction to todays vote.

     I must send out a hearty congratulations to Sacramento today. The city managed to save their team again. I must say I have no ill will to the city. No my ire is directed at David Stern. It is not the results of today's vote that have me publicly addressing my contempt for Mr. Stern. It is how he has handled this situation in comparison to our teams situation. The amount of effort and the length of leash he gave to Sacramento to save their team is so much larger than what he gave to us. 
     The fact he didn't put up this fight for Seattle a team with more history, a larger market and various other reasons I have discussed before is what makes me mad. No when the time came for the Commissioner to step up and help our city and our history, he fought against our city. Complained we weren't working to get a stadium deal done, but Sac town has been fighting the stadium struggle for almost a decade now, but Seattle only really got one year to get it affairs in order.
     At one point I truly thought David Stern was the greatest commissioner in North American sports history, but the last few years have put a dark mark on his legacy. Now anyone who has read up on the Sonics relocation will tell you, the reason Stern allowed the Sonics to move wasn't to punish the fans for not building  a stadium, wasn't due to low revenue, no it was a favor for a friend. Too bad his job as a commissioner, is to be a steward of the league, to not hurt it's reputation or it's financial situation, but he let his personal relationships cloud his better judgment.  He stepped and fought for the little guy this time, but that fight he had this time showed us what he truly thinks of us fans.
     He just doesn't care about us the consumer, about us the revenue source, about us the fans. Two unnecessary lockouts, several team relocations and then having the gall, to not only ask us to pay for the place to play these games we already pay to attend, but to let another person hijack our teams and our memories just because he did Mr. Stern a favor.
    I was taught as a child to never say you hate someone. (Yeah I'm from Washington), but I can truly say I hate David Stern.

No comments:

Post a Comment